Applying at fast food chains as an adult

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

I've been out of the workforce for 10 years now with carer responsibilities. Have been applying for part time jobs here and there, but with no recent experience it's hard. My availability isn't fantastic during weekdays either.

But I'm really keen to get a foot back in the door and to start working again. I was thinking of applying to the local Maccas, KFC etc, as they're 24 hours and I have lots of overnight availability. But as someone in my 30s - will I even get a look in? I've previously applied to supermarkets, service stations and the likes, but haven't been able to get to interview stage.

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

You're not in Victoria by any chance are you?

There are now some TAFE courses in high demand areas, like carers, which are now free.

Obviously that doesn't solve the job situation, but I wondered if you were able to combine both, it might not give you better job opportunities afterwards.

#3 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

born.a.girl, on 16 August 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

You're not in Victoria by any chance are you?

There are now some TAFE courses in high demand areas, like carers, which are now free.

Obviously that doesn't solve the job situation, but I wondered if you were able to combine both, it might not give you better job opportunities afterwards.

I am.  I'm also degree qualified, so not eligible for any of the free TAFE or discounts or anything like that.

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

Green Gummy Bear, on 16 August 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

I am.  I'm also degree qualified, so not eligible for any of the free TAFE or discounts or anything like that.
Are you sure? I was just reading about this yesterday and I was surprised how many people are now eligible.

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:00 PM

KFC definitely hire mature staff. Our local has one woman who stands out because she never makes a mistake with our order.

#6 BusbyWilkes

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:06 PM

If they are 24 hour stores then it could be a good option. My understanding is that juniors can only be used between certain hours. If they have to pay adult wage, I think they would much rather employ a 30 something who is reliable and keen to work. Good luck.

#7 ERipley

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

Edited by ERipley, 19 August 2019 - 08:28 PM.

#8 laridae

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:31 PM

Absolutely. They need older staff for overnight and breakfast and daytime shifts. Kids generally do afternoons and evenings during the week.

#9 Silverstreak

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

FuzzyChocolateToes, on 16 August 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Are you sure? I was just reading about this yesterday and I was surprised how many people are now eligible.

Yep, I know someone who has a degree and is now doing a TAFE course and I'm pretty sure the course is free.

#10 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

FuzzyChocolateToes, on 16 August 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yep, I'm sure. The eligibility thingy said I'd need to study at Grad Cert level or higher for subsidised course. None of the free courses are at that high of a level unfortunately.

#11 Twinmum+2

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

IamtheMumma, on 16 August 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

KFC definitely hire mature staff. Our local has one woman who stands out because she never makes a mistake with our order.

There's a lovely mature aged bloke who works at our local KFC too, and he always reorganises the order to make sure you get the cheapest deal.  He's a bit of a legend.

#12 Ayr

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

When I was looking to get back in the workforce after the same length of time I found plenty of work going at the department stores. I found one at big w. Personally the smell of fast food places would have been too much for me.

#13 seemingly

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

If you're keen on night shifts, check in with 24 hour service stations (not United, they often seem to have no need for workers).

#14 Grrrumbles

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

I worked at McDonalds while at Uni and never got a Friday night, Saturday or Sunday day time shift. I did work Sunday nights but it was an awful shift 9pm to 1am. Juniors worked all weekend, the only adults on were managers.

Aged care and gaming/pokies attendants seem to be where the after hours jobs are as they aren’t suitable for younger workers.

#15 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

There is a maccas in Sydney somewhere, where most of the staff are a lot older.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:01 AM

I was hired at several McDonald's in my 20s. There weren't many workers older than me but there were a few.Once you're 21 everyone's the same price, so it's not a completely terrible idea.

However it's also not particularly common. Service Stations would probably be a better bet The local Coles Express has pretty much everyone over 30.

Good luck with your jobsearch anyway and I hope you find something!

#17 jojonbeanie

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:12 AM

Green Gummy Bear, on 16 August 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

This is not necessarily the case. Many institutions can apply for an exemption on your behalf if you are reskilling or changing careers. I do it constantly for people who apply for the TAFE course I teach.

Edited by jojonbeanie, 17 August 2019 - 02:13 AM.

#18 Silverstreak

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:35 AM

Also try the well known supermarkets. I did checkout for five years and there were plenty of older employees, who were preferred for manning the cigarette counter and doing supervisory roles.

You'll probably get to put down preferences on which store you want to work at (I didn't get my first preference, but I got my second preference), there can be a staff discount card and I found my store pretty good with flexible hours. I ended up working evening shifts, which were nice and quiet.

The experience on the whole was really positive, as I was able to say I did customer service, cash handling, data entry and cleaning and that looked good on a resume.

They're usually pretty good about moving you around, if that's what you want, e.g. if you want to do stock, or work in the deli or bakery, rather than checkout. With the big stores, there are so many stores everywhere that you're pretty much guaranteed work in the suburbs. Flat soled, comfortable shoes and a water bottle are a must and always make sure a rubber floor mat is provided for you (ours had a tendency to go wandering, lol)

#19 AliasMater

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

IamtheMumma, on 16 August 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

My 'family member' (for privacy) who is a KFC store manager can't hire mature age staff (18+). S/he gets a certain amount per month to spend on wages and mature age cost too much. Having 2 mature age on a shift means s/he is down a staff member or more. Even one on shift is too expensive because it adds up over a week. Mature age resumes go in the bin.

He/she is FRUSTRATED because he/she KNOWS they are generally more productive, reliable, and punctual. Less wastage, less mistakes, less lost on comped food - but that's a different budget!

Much to his/her extreme frustration, the wages budget handed down by head office over the years has decreased, not increased alongside the pitiful increase in wages.

Edited by AliasMater, 17 August 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#20 coolbreeze

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

Have you thought of retraining as a patient care attendant.
Loads of night shift and weekend work.
CB

#21 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like it's a no go.

I have been applying at supermarkets and service stations. Both for advertised listings and as an expression of interest type thing. My application always comes back with the same 'we have a large number, we've reviewed and found you unsuitable at this time'.

PCA position is the only thing I just can't take on, for a number of reasons.

Everything else like factory work either come back say I have no experience, or they need someone who can work rotating shifts and be available for all shifts across their operations, which isn't feasible for me.

I will contact the TAFE again on Monday and see if there's anything I can do.

#22 Chocolate Addict

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

I know you said you tried with supermarkets but have you applied for night fill? They literally start at like 8pm or so and work overnight.
A friend used to do it and all the staff were in their 30s or higher.

Ask face to face at any regular places you shop, you might be surprised.

A stationary food truck (pop up) we chat to the owner all the time and he always needs staff and has actually told my friend that when she is looking for work to go see him.
She didn't ask, it came up in conversation but just ask. :)

#23 alfoil hat

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

Have you considered call centre work? Doesn’t have to be sales, for example medical deputising during the evenings? Unsure of private sector but government generally pays well for call centre staff. You don’t necessarily need experience doing certain roles but your resume should show you can clearly and concisely communicate, are able to speak to people from all walks of life etc. these are things that many mums excel at!

#24 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

Echoing previous posts, I’d avoid fast food chains as they are under budget constraints, and can hire cheap students that also need the late shifts and weekend shifts.

Get your RSA, responsible serving of alcohol, or whatever it’s called, and apply at bottle shops and supermarkets. They need adults for legal reasons and also need people willing to work after hours. Night fill is a good job too, decent hourly rates (well, they were 15 years ago)

#25 Grrrumbles

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Even though I posted that your chances were low with McDonalds based on my experience I would still apply online to all these places. Sometimes you get lucky. Bunnings is also a possibility, they do nightfill in the evenings.

The other option is to sign up with a labour hire company. You might get some work at functions, special events etc that would update your resume and give you contacts. They often hire people for setting up and taking down exhibits, manning stalls, cleaning, as well as food service. RSA certificate would be useful as well as a police /vulnerable persons check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.