←  What Do You Think?

Essential Baby

»
Advertisement

Itinerary to go with school leave request

me-and-my-girls's Photo me-and-my-girls 14 Jun 2019

Hi. I have submitted a request for an excused absence for my daughter at her public high school. The principal has asked for copies of flight tickets and an itinerary. I can provide the tickets but what does he mean by itinerary? Does it mean what we plan to do each day, like a calendar?
The reason we are going is that my oldest daughter is moving to the US and myself and my other daughter are going over to help her move, set up her apartment and basically say “see you later”, no knowing when exactly later might be. So it’s very important to her that she goes and she is planning on going no matter what the school says. Having said that, I’d still rather do things the right way and get her absence excused.
So basically, has anybody ever submitted an itinerary to the school and what exactly was on it?

seayork2002's Photo seayork2002 14 Jun 2019

I just emailed DS's principal the email itinerary I got from our travel agent, to show the international flight out and back bit I assumed he was looking for - not the actual specifics of the entire trip

It had all the hotels etc. but I am assumed the main bit he needed was the flight bit

EsmeLennox's Photo EsmeLennox 14 Jun 2019

I personally wouldn't submit the itinerary or the tickets.

However, if you felt you must, I would provide the bare bones of the information.

Eg Depart X airport on Y date
Arrive A airport on B date etc.

I think the explanation you have provided of accompanying your eldest daughter should be sufficient, depending on what year of schooling she is in (ie the way Year 11/12 absences are managed is often different from years 7-10). How long will you be away.

View PostEsmeLennox, on 14 June 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I personally wouldn't submit the itinerary or the tickets.

However, if you felt you must, I would provide the bare bones of the information.

Eg Depart X airport on Y date
Arrive A airport on B date etc.

I think the explanation you have provided of accompanying your eldest daughter should be sufficient, depending on what year of schooling she is in (ie the way Year 11/12 absences are managed is often different from years 7-10). How long will you be away.

She is in year 11 which makes it more complicated. I have already minimized the trip as much as I can and she will only miss 7 school days. She is aware she will need to catch up and submit assessments ahead of time as well.

spr_maiden's Photo spr_maiden 14 Jun 2019

I'd submit flight details and that's it.

WTFancie shmancie's Photo WTFancie shmancie 14 Jun 2019

A copy of the tickets is required to prove that you haven't just submitted an application because your DD has decided to sleep in and lounge around for a few weeks.  It also backs up your application to remove your daughter from school for X weeks.

If you decide not to submit a copy of the tickets, then rest assured that the leave will not be approved and your DD's absences will be marked as unjustified.

JomoMum's Photo JomoMum 14 Jun 2019

An itinerary is an outline of flights, accommodation, and generally planned activities.

What is the school policy on absences?

Is it during a particularly important time, like exams?

IMO, that is a complete breech of privacy and well outside of what they could reasonably expect to be told.

Based on principle alone, I would vehemently object to supplying anything other than your flight confirmations.

I am more than happy to submit the flight details, even my oldests flight details so he can see that she is not returning with us. I was just confused when he asked for flight and itinerary details.
Maybe I’ll just send in the flight info and if he wants something more he can ask me for specifics.

LittleMissPink's Photo LittleMissPink 14 Jun 2019

I wouldnt send the flight details, and would provide them with a brief itinerary

Depart 4pm Monday
Arrive LAX 10pm

Stay in apartment in LA

Depart LAX
Arrive Sydney. (for example)

Sure they may not like it, but you are going anyway, so whether it is recorded as approved or not wont really matter.

seayork2002's Photo seayork2002 14 Jun 2019

I don't understand why I wouldn't send flight details, the agency emailed it to me and I emailed it to the principal, took all of 2 seconds and can't think of anything secret or private in it

Caribou's Photo Caribou 14 Jun 2019

They don’t need a literal day by day breakdown of what you are doing. You just say. Flight out - date and time LA- day1 to day6 flight back - date and time

Hell you could make up A day by day itinerary if you wanted, chuck in Disneyland, San Fran, universal studios, beach, tv studios, RnR home.

They’re not going go demand receipts.

Crazyone26989's Photo Crazyone26989 14 Jun 2019

In NSW, principals are advised by the Department of Education “to request travel documentation, such as travel itinerary or e- ticket” and attach it to the application for leave. They are then meant to issue a certificate of extended leave (or not issue it if they believe it is unnecessary). They are also encouraged to remind parents to take holidays outside of school term.

I am sure the principal is simply requesting proof of the dates you will be away as the school must follow up if your daughter doesn’t return by when you said she would. I would email the flight confirmation.

But seriously's Photo But seriously 14 Jun 2019

I'd send flights and brief explanation

lozoodle's Photo lozoodle 14 Jun 2019

They just need to see some sort of proof - I recently just submitted flight itinerary  with their names on them and that was enough.

Loving it's Photo Loving it 14 Jun 2019

Hi op,
My sons public high school has asked to do the same thing too.

First@35's Photo First@35 14 Jun 2019

I would provide flight ticket only. No way would I be handing out her travel itinerary or hotel details.

SeaPrincess's Photo SeaPrincess 14 Jun 2019

View Postseayork2002, on 14 June 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

I don't understand why I wouldn't send flight details, the agency emailed it to me and I emailed it to the principal, took all of 2 seconds and can't think of anything secret or private in it

This. And when they are emailed, they are usually referred to as an itinerary, even without details of accommodation or activities.
Edited by SeaPrincess, 14 June 2019 - 06:25 PM.

SeaPrincess's Photo SeaPrincess 14 Jun 2019

Sorry - weird double post.
Edited by SeaPrincess, 14 June 2019 - 06:25 PM.

Magratte's Photo Magratte 14 Jun 2019

I have provided e-tickets and a brief letter explaining why we were going on the trip (public primary school). It was sufficient.

EsmeLennox's Photo EsmeLennox 14 Jun 2019

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 14 June 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

A copy of the tickets is required to prove that you haven't just submitted an application because your DD has decided to sleep in and lounge around for a few weeks.  It also backs up your application to remove your daughter from school for X weeks.

If you decide not to submit a copy of the tickets, then rest assured that the leave will not be approved and your DD's absences will be marked as unjustified.

Um ahhhh...the OP should be packing her dacks.

OP given she’s in year 11 and may need formal extensions for tasks due whilst away, I’d provide the bare minimum of info required. This probably goes beyond the school per se as the rules around absences/extensions etc for year 11/12s are often governed by a body external to the school.

But far out, it’s tiring. The regulations and ridiculous levels of accountability being applied to kids and assessment exhausts me. I do hope some level of common sense returns to education eventually.

Disclaimer - this is not to say that parents should take their kids out of school frequently for holidays or that situations of persistent truancy should be ignored. However the requirement for evidence over and above a parents’ notification (assuming there isn’t an ongoing pattern of absence) is onerous and a parent informing the school of the absence should be sufficient.

BornToLove's Photo BornToLove 14 Jun 2019

I’m happy to provide an overview of where we are going, what we plan to do and why we’re doing.

I think having to prove that we are going (flights etc) is a bit much. I’d provide a copy of the e-ticket, but I would redact cost and seat class details as I don’t think the school needs to know how much the trip costs.

#YKG's Photo #YKG 14 Jun 2019

Whenever I’ve been asked for itinerary I just provide the airline itinerary that states dates, times, locations for flights. I doubt they need a play by play of everything.
You usually get it emailed to you from agency or airline, just send that.

Expelliarmus's Photo Expelliarmus 14 Jun 2019

I too understood itinerary to be the flight details are emailed to you on confirmation of a flight booking.

WTFancie shmancie's Photo WTFancie shmancie 14 Jun 2019

View PostEsmeLennox, on 14 June 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

OP given she’s in year 11 and may need formal extensions for tasks due whilst away, I’d provide the bare minimum of info required. This probably goes beyond the school per se as the rules around absences/extensions etc for year 11/12s are often governed by a body external to the school.

But far out, it’s tiring. The regulations and ridiculous levels of accountability being applied to kids and assessment exhausts me. I do hope some level of common sense returns to education eventually.

Disclaimer - this is not to say that parents should take their kids out of school frequently for holidays or that situations of persistent truancy should be ignored. However the requirement for evidence over and above a parents’ notification (assuming there isn’t an ongoing pattern of absence) is onerous and a parent informing the school of the absence should be sufficient.

Some parents (and more than you would think) take their kids out of school for quite extended periods, and then carry on like pork chops when the kid's report reflects that and try to blame  the teacher for their kid falling behind and having limited understanding (or none at all) of concepts covered during their absence.

Best I know was an acquaintance who took their family overseas for the 'holiday of a lifetime!' then was p*ssed off that the school wouldn't support their application for special consideration for their HSC child.  Sorry, swanning through Europe isn't a good enough reason.

View PostEsmeLennox, on 14 June 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

I actually called the dept of education this afternoon because I wanted to know where we stood if it was denied. The lady I spoke to was soooo lovely. Basically she said that there is no set number of absences that are allowed/non allowed, it’s at the discretion of the school/principal.

She said if it was denied and my daughter just didn’t show up, then it’s not counted as truancy as she is with a parent and I have given permission for her not to be at school, whether the school agrees or not. She also said they can’t expel her as she is 16 and they have to allow her to come back to school on her return. Basically, there’s not much the school can do and it would be absence either way it’s just that one way would be excused absence and one would be unexcused, but at the end of the day it doesn’t make a great deal of difference to anything.

I am going to send him copies of our tickets and he can like it or lump it, TBH, because we are going. Some things are more important than literally a few days of school.
Advertisement