Only one artery

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pollie79

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Hi everyone
I had a scan today (14 weeks) and doctor can only see one artery.  The pediatrician doctor will look further into it next week.  Doctor was honest that it could be something wrong.  Anyone gone through this? Thanks

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

Happens in about 1-100 babies and it generally does not result in anything of worry.

There will be extra vigilance at further scans to watch baby's growth and renal development but generally it is not something to be concerned about.
Before scans we only found out about this after the birth of a healthy baby when we examined the cord and placenta.

Good luck.

#3 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

And there could be nothing wrong. Try not to panic until you've got all the information. By itself, a single umbilical artery it is something to keep an eye on. It is very common. They might do a couple more scans later on in the pregnancy.

However, it is a soft marker for chromosomal abnormalities. If you've had a nuchal and that is normal, then it is very unlikely it is related to a chromosomal concern.

#4 rowd

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

I had the same thing, and turns out they were wrong. Ask for a second opinion at your next scan. I had it checked twice and it wasn't until a growth scan in the late third trimester that they finally noticed it was 3 vessel after all. From what I read it is quite often misdiagnosed at early scans.

In the absence of any other markers it is considered a variant of normal. You will most likely have some extra growth scans, and maybe a little more in depth anomaly scan than usual. And I know it's impossible not to worry, but honestly it is very common.

#5 pollie79

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for your replies ladies.  The maternal serum risk came back as low risk and all other things on scan look ok. I have an appointment Tuesday with pediatric heart doctor so hopefully will know more then.

#6 Green lady

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

By itself, it’s not considered an ‘abnormality’. My last DS had this and I was freaked out when I googled it. I had additional growth scans and monitoring of placental blood flow and DS was born healthy, just was a bit smaller than my other DS (3.6kg v 4.35 kg)

#7 Silly Old Elf

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

On its own it isn’t necessarily a problem. I had it with child 2 and no major issues although my uterus was super

Edited by Silly Old Elf, 17 May 2019 - 05:30 PM.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

My second was Single Umbilical Artery (SUA) with no other markers. Happy Healthy nearly 12yo. My OBs take was without other markers not to stress. I had no extra scans or anything.

On further reading I had found a research paper which concluded that in absence of other markers the trend was for a slightly early (38.5wks from memory), slightly smaller (3.2kgs) baby. Nothing wrong.

My SUA baby was my latest (evicted 37.5wks) and largest (3.195 kgs) baby. My other 2 were 2.5kgs (37.5wks) and 2.6kgs (36.3wks) for my last.

Found old paper summary

https://journals.lww...6&type=Abstract

Results A two-vessel umbilical cord was confirmed at birth in 50 neonates. The mean gestational age at delivery was 38.6 ± 2.8 weeks; the mean birth weight was 3202.8 ± 835.8 g.

Conclusion In the absence of additional sonographically detectable anomalies, an isolated single umbilical artery does not seem to affect clinical outcome and therefore should not alter routine obstetric management.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 18 May 2019 - 01:12 PM.

#9 pollie79

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

Thanks so much for your replies.  The doctor was so grim.  But this particular imaging place is very pendantic.  Hopefully ok news next week.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

View Postpollie79, on 19 May 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

Thanks so much for your replies.  The doctor was so grim.  But this particular imaging place is very pendantic.  Hopefully ok news next week.

Is this doctor an obstetrician? :(

#11 pollie79

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

He was. Not my OB the one who is at the scan place.  Not the best bedside manner lol

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

View Postpollie79, on 19 May 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

He was. Not my OB the one who is at the scan place.  Not the best bedside manner lol

If there are no other markers then what he has said to you is so inaccurate I'd hate to think what he says to everyone else.
He needs to be stopped from giving out this type of scare mongering......it's so wrong.

#13 pollie79

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

Yes it seemed wrong.  Even if it wa something really bad, should have been handled better.

#14 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

How'd the appointment go today?

#15 pollie79

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

Thanks so much for asking.  The appointment was changed to 7::30am this Thursday so will let you know then.  Fingers crossed

#16 IamtheMumma

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

I hope your appt went well yesterday and your fears have been soothed.

#17 pollie79

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

Thank so much for asking.  The cardiologist did find a three vessel so that was fine.  Unfortunately he also found an interrupted aorta arch and some other heart problems which they associate with deletion 22 gene.  We have decided to terminate the pregnancy.  It was a shock to find this out needless to say but we feel relieved it was found early in and not at 20 weeks plus.  Doctor feels it’s very rare and unlikely to occur in future.  Just random bad luck.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

I am so very sorry to hear this Pollie79.

#19 pollie79

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Thanks so much for that x

#20 BeachesBaby

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

I've been following along with your story here and wanted to say I'm so incredibly sorry that you've just found this out and have to make the difficult decision to terminate. There are a lot of people here who can empathize, and feel upset on your behalf that you have to go through this awful situation. You'll be in my thoughts.

#21 Madeline's Mum

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:48 PM

I’m sorry to hear the latest development. I hope you have good support around you, and if not, you find some here.

Ill be thinking of you.

#22 Natasha123

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

So sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and hope that you have lots of support.

#23 OrangeSprout

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

sorry to read of this,

#24 IamtheMumma

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

I'm so sorry things have turned out like this.

#25 pollie79

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Thanks so much everyone.  I appreciate your kind thoughts x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.