←  Trying to Conceive

Essential Baby

»
Advertisement

Irregular cycles - When to test?

moineau's Photo moineau 15 Apr 2019

Currently sitting on CD29 and wondering to bother testing or not.

We have been TTC for a pretty much exactly a year (this is our 12th cycle)

I have been on the pill since by DD was born almost 8 years ago, prior to her my cycles were EXACTLY 28 days. Every time.

Since coming off the pill a year ago they have been all over the shop. My last 10 cycles have been:

My tracking App predicted AF to arrive on CD 25. So according to that I'm 4 days late, but knowing that I have had 34 day cycles has left me wondering wether to bother or not. In the past I have gone and bought tests, done it, BFN BAM period next day. I'm already struggling and don't feel overly hopeful and everytime I even think about going and buying a HPT its like I instantly start feeling crampy like maybe I'm about to get AF... Then it goes away (that's been happening for the last 3 days)

Thoughts? Stories? Experiences?

IamOzgirl's Photo IamOzgirl 15 Apr 2019

Do you have any idea when you O?

No real idea on when I ovulated.

We've been trying to take a slightly relaxed approach. I had EWCM at CD 13 AND again on CD 18, That has never been a consistent tell for me though, sometimes I get no EWCM

molinero's Photo molinero 15 Apr 2019

My cycles have always waxed and waned liked yours OP, I was all over the place.

When TTC I took so many HPTs because I was convinced I must be 'late' when in reality it was just my cycle adjusting to a longer length.

With my last kiddo, I actually had the longest cycle I have ever had in my entire life. I felt for sure I must've been pregnant. But the tests kept coming back negative. I felt angry and confused that my body would play tricks on me like that. Luckily fell the following month when I was relatively symptom-less.

If I were you, the rational part of my brain would be telling me to wait until CD34. But there's a good chance I would test anyway out of impulsiveness...

IamOzgirl's Photo IamOzgirl 15 Apr 2019

I hear you on the 'trying the relaxed approach'. Unfortunately that doesn't help with the irregular cycles. the 'right' time to test is tied to Ovulation. And it would be great to understand if your O is just as all over the shop as your cycle length.

would you consider temping? just to confirm O date?

That way you are not doing it to stress about timing sex. its just a confirmation tool.

And on the relaxed approach, i wouldn't even stress about the exact temp time (lots of people stress about that!) but just enter it into your app and let it do the rest!

With out an O date your app is just having its best guess at your cycle length.

sorry if i have not helped at all...

MooGuru's Photo MooGuru 15 Apr 2019

I had similar to you varying between 23 days and 37 from memory. For my own mental health I never tested before the longest of the cycles and tried not too assume pregnancy until that point and testing. I had a friend who tested compulsively from a week v before due and her experience really influenced me not to want to do that for myself but I get everyone is different.

I have been thinking about tracking for a while, my DH and I discussed OPKs but every time I go to order/buy them I get overwhelmed by the idea of sex being a chore. I was given a referral for an ultrasound to be done around CD 14 to see if I'm even ovulating but I can't seem to bring myself to book it in.

The idea of "tracking and timing" makes my DH really anxious as well. He quite enjoys blissful ignorance. (HA HA) and I'm scared that if I track, then I will feel alone in the TTC thing.

OMG. I am a walking barrel of contradictions. I was so hoping that things would just happen and I would feel like it was just meant to happen. Tracking and taking things to the next level makes me feel like maybe we aren't meant to have a baby. (We both have one DD each from our previous marriages)

GGGAAAHHHH

I was thinking of waiting until CD 34... Thats the longest cycle that I have had so far so surely AF will have come by then or at least it will be more likely to be an accurate result.
Advertisement