←  Trying to Conceive

Essential Baby

»
Advertisement

Home/DIY IUI kits

BabyBlessed#4's Photo BabyBlessed#4 10 Apr 2019

Has anyone tried a home DIY IUI Kit?

DF & I purchased one online from the US yesterday & planning to give it a go next month (if this month hasn’t worked)

Just wondering if anyone else has done it & had any success?

#YKG's Photo #YKG 10 Apr 2019

The only one I have seen allegedly people have had success, I’ve asked my FS about it out of curiosity as I’m starting IUI this cycle, he pointed out the point of IUI is to get the sperm directly into the Fallopian tubes the day before & day of egg release with a catheter and syringe the washed sperm in, the at home ones are pretty much just a syringe you’d get for kids medicine at the chemist. My FS said it’s probably no more effective than BD as you’re just getting it to the cervix and not through up into the uterus at the spot it needs to be.
Keep in mind they say they are one use only so you have to buy a new kit each cycle so probably get $$$ when it would be cheaper to BD to get the sperm in the exact same spot.

Plus you have to be careful about air pockets/bubbles that can cause issues.

BabyBlessed#4's Photo BabyBlessed#4 10 Apr 2019

The one I got has a catheter as well as the syringe... when I did IUI previously (10 cycles) they just put the sperm in to the uterus. Not sure how they would get it in to the Fallopian tubes?
We thankfully don’t have a sperm quality issue, DF is super fertile LOL
Cost us about $100 so heaps cheaper then IUI it’s $3k here... I’m willing to try anything before we start IVF in August

Katerina 34's Photo Katerina 34 17 Apr 2019

The catheter would need to be inserted through the cervical os and into the uterus using a vaginal speculum. Without medical training, I cannot think this would be anything but a bad idea (infection/perforation etc).

IUI is useful for issues with cycle timing to maximise the sperm being in the right place when O happens. If DF has good sperm quality and you have no structural blockages (have you had a HSG) then I can’t see how this will be helpful above well timed BD. I would definitely not let anyone but your FS insert a catheter into your uterus.

Froyo's Photo Froyo 17 Apr 2019

View PostKaterina 34, on 17 April 2019 - 05:40 AM, said:

The catheter would need to be inserted through the cervical os and into the uterus using a vaginal speculum. Without medical training, I cannot think this would be anything but a bad idea (infection/perforation etc).

IUI is useful for issues with cycle timing to maximise the sperm being in the right place when O happens. If DF has good sperm quality and you have no structural blockages (have you had a HSG) then I can’t see how this will be helpful above well timed BD. I would definitely not let anyone but your FS insert a catheter into your uterus.
100% this.

Pmac546's Photo Pmac546 17 Apr 2019

I could not agree more with Katerina. That's a quick way to get an infection. Not a grand idea.

Froyo's Photo Froyo 17 Apr 2019

Yep, an infection that could very well cause serious problems.
Advertisement